Jobs Now Blog

Sunday, 10 September 2017 14:47

If someone gets terminated from a job, will he get an experience letter?

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Question originally answered on

I’m not familiar with the term ‘experience letter.’

I would expect that it is either a Record of Employment or a reference letter.

In Canada, when you are terminated from a position, whether it be by being fired, quitting or being laid off, you should receive a Record of Employment.

This form is significant if you are eligible and applying for unemployment benefits.

While it is mandatory for the employer to issue a Record of Employment, the employee often has to chase it down. It really depends on the organizational abilities and professionalism of the business.

For many small business owners, once the employee is out of the way, they don’t worry about it.

As for expecting a letter of reference from an employer who has terminated you, I wouldn’t expect that to happen. I’m not sure I would want someone who has fired me to speaking on my behalf.

Read 1497 times Last modified on Wednesday, 03 January 2018 20:18

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Recent Post